The 1920s were a period of growth in Abilene as First Presbyterian constructed its new building at North Fourth and Orange. It opened for worship on April 6, 1924. This building makes up the south end of our present campus and includes Fellowship Hall and classrooms.
Abilene’s population doubled again in the 1950s. Feeling the need for more space for educational programs, the Session at First Presbyterian voted to proceed with plans for the present Educational Building, which opened in 1954.
In 1970 First Presbyterian and Central Presbyterian became one. In 1976 the First Central congregation began the building program which constructed the present sanctuary and renovated the previous one for use as Fellowship Hall. Under the leadership of Dr. Roy Zuefeldt, the programs and membership continued to grow. The Edgar Educational Building was acquired and renovated for overflow classroom and program space in the early 1980s.
In April of 1993 Dr. Clifford S. Stewart became pastor. In the late 1990s a master plan was formulated. Through the Vision 2000 campaign, the Activity Center was constructed, connecting all First Central facilities to a new gym and Faith Hall multiuse room, large kitchen, offices, the Claudia Austin Youth Center and classrooms.
A columbarium is a consecrated space utilized for the housing of a deceased’s cremains. The word “columbarium” comes from Latin and translates as a compartmentalized house for doves, the gentle birds mentioned in Holy Scripture and recognized as symbols of peace.
- The columbarium becomes a contemporary setting for the old-time church cemetery, reminding us that the church ministers to the spiritual needs of its members – from baptism through life to death.
- The presence of a columbarium is a further witness of our faith in the resurrection, the life everlasting and the church triumphant – an appropriate resting place for the earthly remains of those who in life loved the church.
- The FCPC columbarium provides approximately 200 niches, accommodating one to two urns.
- Internment will ordinarily be limited to past or present members of FCPC and members of their immediate families.
- The price of each niche is $2,000 including including 2 urns and granite engraving. This method of burial is not for everyone, but the meditative garden and beauty of the structure is for all. The setting allows for ease of visitation and for mediation and prayer.
Information on burial in the columbarium is available upon request. Please contact the office at 325-677-3501 for more details.
Meditation & Community Garden
In response to our call to be stewards of the earth, the corner of N. 4th and Beech Street is being transformed from a vacant lot to a garden that will nourish both body and soul. The garden is a project under the supervision of FCPC’s Presbyterian Women.
When complete, the garden will have:
- seven keyhole gardens for growing vegetables,
- a walking path wide enough to accommodate a wheel chair,
- a labyrinth for contemplative prayer,
- a flower and fauna that is attractive to butterflies and visitors to the garden
- seating scattered throughout the spacious garden
- a corner of the lot dedicated to a staging area for communal worship, weddings, and outdoor programs (coming later).
In addition, the garden ministry will cultivate friendship between people of all ages as they plant, tend, and harvest the produce.
First Central Presbyterian Church’s Meditation and Community Garden seeks to…
-Nourish both body and soul.
-Nurture healthy relationship with nature and neighbors.
-Sow seeds of gratitude for God’s creation.
FCPC is, among other things, a home for the arts. On this page, you will find some of the art that is housed at FCPC, both temporary and permanent installations.