I John says, “See what love God has given us, that we should be called children of God.” At First Central, we recognize that children of God come in all ages, and all have a part to play in church work and worship. Children are vital to First Central, and we believe church should be a place where children experience God’s love, joy, and community. We seek to involve children in worship and provide the best opportunities for their spiritual formation—in knowledge and practice.
Childcare is provided for all worship services for infants and toddlers in the nursery and toddler room. Ask an usher and they will gladly escort you to Children’s Ministry wing. Be sure to sign-in your child.
Pagers are also an effective tool our childcare providers use to notify you if your child needs you.
Infants and Toddlers: Childcare is provided each Sunday morning from 8:15 a.m.through the 11 a.m. worship service. Check-in for children is in room 103.
Pre-School (Ages 3-5 years): Age appropriate lessons, with hands-on activities are offered at 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Kinder-5th: Elementary aged children “Grow in Grace and Gratitude” by singing, hearing Bible stories, making crafts, and serving one another. From 9:45-10:45 in the Marketplace classroom.
Elementary-Age (K-1st grade): Godly Play serves as a part of the worship experience for our K-1 children immediately after the Time for Young Disciples in the 11:00 am worship service. Godly Play is a way that kindergarten and first grade students are invited to explore their faith through stories, wonder, imagination and (of course) play.
Children in Worship
If you would like to keep your children in the worship service, you may! Here are some tips:
- Relax! God put the wiggle and squirms in children. Don’t feel you have to suppress them in God’s house.
- Use a gentle touch: an arm around the shoulder, your hand in his or hers to give reassurance and appropriate attention.
- Quietly explain the parts of the worship service.
- Help your child find the pages in the Hymnal. Do not be distressed if your child does not find the proper page.
- Sing the hymns, pray and voice the responses. Children learn good behavior in church by copying yours.
- Encourage them to come up for the Children’s Sermon and ask them to listen and participate in the message (pre-K through grade 5).
- Attention spans of the very young are very short! If you see that your child has clearly “had enough”, don’t hesitate to take him/her to the Children’s Wing for age appropriate care. We want your child to feel comfortable.
Sunday Night Live LOGOS: LOGOS is for children between the ages of 5 and 5th grade. The program occurs during the fall and spring semesters on Sunday nights from 4:30 – 7:00 pm. Logos is a national Christian education program that allows for children and adults to work together in a true intergenerational ministry As a group, Logos participants play together, study together, eat together, and worship together.
Childcare is provided each Sunday morning for both services and the Church School hour. The childcare staff is attentive and loving, making it a point to interact with the children, call them by name and share God’s love through play, stories, and special attention.
Sunday Morning Hours: 8:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Wednesday Nights: 5:45 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. available when Wednesday Night programming is offered.
Parents’ Night Out: Parents’ Night Out is a free childcare service offered to children from birth to fifth grade on the second and fourth Friday from 6:00-9:00 pm on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month. Dinner is provided for $3/child; otherwise, Parents’ Night Out is completely free of charge.
Additional Childcare: Additional childcare is available upon request for special services and occasions such as committee meetings, choir rehearsal, weddings, or funerals. Contact the church office for more information.