I John says, “See what love God has given us, that we should be called children of God.” At First Central, we recognize that children of God come in all ages, and all have a part to play in church work and worship. Children are vital to First Central, and we believe church should be a place where children experience God’s love, joy, and community. We seek to involve children in worship and provide the best opportunities for their spiritual formation—in knowledge and practice.
Childcare is provided for all worship services for infants and toddlers in the nursery and toddler room. Ask an usher and they will gladly escort you to Children’s Ministry wing. Be sure to sign-in your child.
Pagers are also an effective tool our childcare providers use to notify you if your child needs you.
Infants and Toddlers: Childcare is provided each Sunday morning from 8:15 a.m.through the 11 a.m. worship service. Check-in for children is in room 103.
3&4 year olds “Grow in Grace and Gratitude” by singing, hearing Bible stories, making crafts, and serving one another. Children meet at 9:45 in the 3&4s classroom (second door on the left in the children’s wing) and end across the hall in the nursery.
Kinder-5th: Elementary school aged children are invited to explore their faith through stories, wonder, imagination and (of course) play. From 9:45 to 10:45 in the Godly Play classroom (third door on the left in the children’s wing).
Music and Movement
Kindergarten and 1st grade students are invited to participate in our children’s church program during the 11 AM worship service ONLY. After our Time for Young Disciples, they are invited to exit the sanctuary. An adult will be waiting to escort them to the children’s theater room for a time of games, music, and or crafts. Once the sermon is over in the sanctuary, children’s church participants will return to sit with their parents. If you think your K or 1st grader is ready to stay in the worship service for the sermon, we think that’s great, too! If you are worshipping in the 8 am service and you do not think your K-1st grade child is ready for the sermon, your child is invited to go to the nursery after the Time for Young Disciples.
Children in Worship
If you would like to keep your children in the worship service, you may! Here are some tips:
- Relax! God put the wiggle and squirms in children. Don’t feel you have to suppress them in God’s house.
- Use a gentle touch: an arm around the shoulder, your hand in his or hers to give reassurance and appropriate attention.
- Quietly explain the parts of the worship service.
- Help your child find the pages in the Hymnal. Do not be distressed if your child does not find the proper page.
- Sing the hymns, pray and voice the responses. Children learn good behavior in church by copying yours.
- Encourage them to come up for the Children’s Sermon and ask them to listen and participate in the message (pre-K through grade 5).
- Attention spans of the very young are very short! If you see that your child has clearly “had enough”, don’t hesitate to take him/her to the Children’s Wing for age appropriate care. We want your child to feel comfortable.
- Pick up one of our children’s worship bags located outside the sanctuary for a children’s worship bulletin and other quiet activities for your child.
Sunday Night Live LOGOS: LOGOS is for children between the ages of 5 and 5th grade. The program occurs during the fall and spring semesters on Sunday nights from 4:30 – 7:00 pm. Logos is a national Christian education program that allows for children and adults to work together in a true intergenerational ministry As a group, Logos participants play together, study together, eat together, and worship together.
Childcare is provided each Sunday morning for both services and the Church School hour. The childcare staff is attentive and loving, making it a point to interact with the children, call them by name and share God’s love through play, stories, and special attention.
Sunday Morning Hours: 8:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Wednesday Nights: 5:45 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. available when Wednesday Night programming is offered.
Parents’ Night Out: Parents’ Night Out is a free childcare service offered to children from birth to fifth grade on the second and fourth Friday from 6:00-9:00 pm on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month. Dinner is provided for $3/child; otherwise, Parents’ Night Out is completely free of charge.
Additional Childcare: Additional childcare is available upon request for special services and occasions such as committee meetings, choir rehearsal, weddings, or funerals. Contact the church office for more information.